Access to an education is a human right - but sadly, hundreds of thousands of children are falling behind in school every year because they are unable to read well.
A quarter of all children in England are leaving primary education without the essential skills to read.
Children who are falling behind in class are often unable to get the specialist support they need to keep up with their peers.
Those children who are unable to read face problems in all areas of their education, resulting in a loss of confidence and self-esteem. In the long-term, children who grow up without the skills to read have fewer life choices and are at greater risk of being economically and social disadvantaged.
You can help change a child's life today by pledging your support to Beanstalk!
Your donation will go directly towards funding one-to-one reading support for children through the charity Beanstalk. We recruit, train and provide ongoing support to volunteers who work with children in partner schools. These children are identified by their teachers as being most in need of support and will receive an average of 70 one-to-one reading support sessions throughout the year.
Beanstalk currently reaches 11,000 children every year but we know there are thousands more children who need our support, particularly in areas where reading is a serious challenge. These areas, identified by the Social Mobility Commission in 2017, include Doncaster, Ipswich, Hastings, Somerset, Blackpool and Bradford.
Through this campaign we can reach children in some of the most disadvantaged communities with vital one-to-one reading support.
Here's how your money can make a difference:
- £945 could provide five children with one-to-one reading support for a year
- £189 could provide a full year’s worth of reading support
- £60 could provide an entire term's worth of reading support
- £30 could provide one month’s worth of reading support
The impact of your support will be life-changing. Last year...
- 97% of schools said Beanstalk saved them valuable time
- 99% of schools said Beanstalk helped children to increase their confidence
- 82% of children aged 5 - 7 years who were classed as below the expected reading level for their age had made notable improvements by the end of the end of the intervention (35% were classed as 'at' or 'above' age-appropriate level by the end of the intervention while a further 47% were classed as ‘working towards’)
"The statistics today on childhood illiteracy in this country are unacceptable. That is why your support for this campaign is so important and will help us ensure more children are leaving primary school equipped with the vital skills they need to thrive in all aspects of their education and go on to lead successful and fulfilling adult lives. Thank you for your generosity" Ginny Lunn, CEO
Thanking our supporters!
Every supporter of this campaign will receive a special thank you from children receiving reading support, an invitation to volunteer and an option to receive regular updates from the organisation.
Thank you on behalf of all of us at Beanstalk - any donation you choose to make is hugely appreciated and will help us improve the life chances of children across England.